Wednesday 7 December 2011

Stadium Arcadium Pt.1

Video game arcades are really a thing of the past aren't they.  When I die and go to Heaven to meet Jebus i'd like to see a meter showing me how many 20c pieces I stuck into games in the video arcades and fish n'chip shops of New Zealand...i'd also like to know the total weight.

In 1997 I worked part time at Timeout in Dunedin for Phil Rasmussen.  I think it was there that I played Gauntlet Legends (the 3rd gauntlet game).


Now Gauntlet Legends let me save my progress through a system of entering my initials and birthdate in I think and after I beat it, it displayed various stats including how much money i'd spent (not that I'd actually spent any because I worked there).  I was kind of appalled to see that i'd theoretically stuck about $80 into it!  It was a $1 game but still thats a hell of a lot of bread on a video game...actually it's less than a new game for your xbox I guess.

This post however is not about Gauntlet Legends, or Gauntlet II, or even the groundbreaking Gauntlet...i'll post about my experiences with them another time...it's about the early arcades where I spent ludicrous amounts of both time and coins, especially in the school holidays.

The first arcade I hung out in was called 8-ball on the corner of Princess Street and Police Street in Dunedin.  They even had 10 cent machines there, and it was in this building.


View Larger Map

This was way early on eh, think I was probably 9 or 10.  They had a game there which was like the front of a vending machine with a cushioned surface and a picture of a martial arts guy on it.  The idea was to punch where it lit up and it would score the hits, but it was often broken.  I don't remember much about this place, there were gun games that pointed at screens, and primitive driving games but all up it was sort of a mix of mechanical carny attractions and early video games, and I was the kid who would go round the coin slots looking for free games.

About a block away was Video Village in Manse Street, Dunedin and this really was my first spiritual video game home. 


View Larger Map

While it wasn't too pretty inside it was chock full of games, and a guy in a window at the back would have piles of 5 20c pieces sitting on top of each other like some kind of 2 dimensional pyramid.  There was a backward L-shaped ground level and a raised mezzanine on the left which had maybe 6 or 7 more games up a small flight of stairs.  One of these was, and still is a favourite: 10 Yard Fight. 



During the school holidays if i'd gone into my mum's work for the day i'd try to spend most of it either in 8-Ball or here. 

Video Village got a game in called MACH 3 that had superimposed CG planes and explosions over real vision of landscapes.  You could play as a bomber (top down view) or shooter (forward view).  It was fun to try but more expensive than all the others, oh and it was broken a lot of the time. 



The place was the first to get in the laserdisc games Dragon's Lair and Space Ace.


I think I even beat Space Ace and while it looked great it was actually a bit of a gimmick because I only got to select directions or buttons when prompted.  Both games were really glorified reaction testers, but they were new and I threw small buckets of 20s into them.

I didn't really know what wrestling was but I loved playing games like Big Pro Wrestling, Main Event, eventually WWF Superstars of Wrestling, and my favourite: Wrestlefest, all at Video Village over nearly ten years.  The fighting games like Streetfighter didn't grab me but the wrestling ones sure did, even though I didn't know what most of the controls were.


I really wish I could remember the final time I went into Video Village, i'd have liked to say goodbye before, just like 8-Ball had, it shuffled off into the video game night as another bright new arcade stole it's thunder in Moray Place: Wizards.

1 comment:

  1. Can't speak for these arcades you mention, but I'm waiting with baited breath for your post about Wizards :)

    ReplyDelete